Related Links

Case Updates

Krishna Adhikari

Krishna Adhikari On 6 June 2004, Krishna Prasad Adhikari, a resident of Fujel village of Gorkha District, was murdered in Chitwan District by Maoist cadres. Krishna Prasad was visiting his grandparents after having taken the SLC examinations, and he was abducted from Bakullahar Chowk by men who came on a motorcycle ...
» more

Maina Sunuwar

Maina Sunuwar Around 6 am on February 17, 2004, a group of RNA soldiers arrested Ms Maina Sunuwar, a 15-year-old schoolgirl of Kharelthok VDC-6, Kavre district. She disappeared since her arrest. Her family members, with support from villagers and school where Maina was a student, visited detention centers ...
» more

Sanjeev Kumar Karna

Sanjeev Kumar Karna Sanjeev Kumar Karna was one among the 11 persons arrested on October 8, 2003. On that fateful day, they had gone to attend a picnic program organized by the students at a place called Kariyachauri VDC-4, and from picnic, they went to Kataiya Chowri Area of Dhanusha district where they ate some food ...
» more

Arjun Bahadur Lama

Arjun Bahadur Lama, 48 years in age, permanent resident of Chhatrebas VDC -5, Dapcha in Kavre district was abducted by a group of Maoist cadres, three in number, on 29 April 2005 (2062.1.16 BS) from the premises of Sri Krishna Secondary School at Chhatrebas VDC-1 of the district.
» more

Hari Prasad Bolakhe

Hari Prasad Bolakhe, 35 (while missing) a permanent resident of Phulbari VDC-8, Kavre district, a pastor by profession, had been missing since the arrest December 27, 2003, was reportedly killed by security persons. A team of National Human Rights Commission discovered a human skeleton in a jungle ...
» more

Sarala Sapkota

Around 11 p.m. on July 15, 2004, a group of 12 armed soldiers arrested Sarala Sapkota at her grandfather’s house. The family, who witnessed the arrest, stated that soldiers gave Sarala no reason for her arrest. After her arrest, Sarala’s family went to Baireni barracks and the DPO ...
» more

Birendra Shah

On the evening of 5 October 2007, Mr. Birendra Shah, 34, resident of Inruwasira VDC-8, Bara district, a local journalist of Bara district and correspondent of Nepal FM, Avenues Television and Dristi weekly, was abducted by Maoists from Pipara Bazaar in Kalaiya, the district headquarters of Bara ...
» more

Bishwanath Parajuli, Tom Nath Poudel and Dhan Bahadur Tamang

Three persons namely Bishwonath Parajuli (also called Nagendra Parajuli), Tom Nath Poudel and Dhan Bahadur Tamang of Hasandaha VDC, Morang were shot dead by the security personnel on 28 September 2004. According to the eyewitnesses, other victims and the villagers, about 16 people were arrested ...
» more

Chot Nath Ghimire and Shekhar Nath Ghimire

Chot Nath Ghimire, a 58-year-old farmer, resident of Ishaneshor VDC-4, Ratamate Majhpokhari of Lamjung district was allegedly arrested by the Joint Security Forces of Joint Security Camp stationed at Bhorlatar VDC, Lamjung district on February 2, 2002 (2058.10.20). The security camp called Mr. ...
» more

Bhauna Tharu

Bhauna Tharu (Bhauna Chaudhary in the citizenship card), 21 years old male (at the time of the incident; Date of Birthe: 8 September 1978), son of Purna Bahadur Chaudhary, permanent resident of Sujanpur village, Neulapur VDC-4, Bardiya district, and an employee of Rastriya Gobar Gas, Gulariya, ...
» more

Close Encounters

Stories from the Frontline of Human Rights Work in Nepal

Close Encounters
During Nepal’s armed conflict and its aftermath, human rights violations not only scarred and destroyed the victims but had a devastating effect on the lives of human rights defenders.
» more

Dharmendra Barai

Dharmendra Barai
Dharmendra Barai, 14, son of Hariram Barai and Vidhyawati Barai, a permanent resident of Gonaha VDC-2, Puraini, Rupandehi district was arrested by police at around 12.30 pm on 3 July 2010 [2067/03/19] on a murder case. After the arrest he was taken to Khajuriya Police Post, Gonaha VDC-4, Rupandehi district. He was a 7th grader at Gargatti High School, Gonaha VDC-8, Rupandehi. The family members and local people have claimed that the boy succumbed to death after torture in police custody but police claim that the boy was dead while he was taken to Bhim Hospital, Bhirahawa after he fall unconscious.
3 July 2010
4 July 2010
On 18 July 2010 [2067/04/02] the Home Ministry formed a 3 member investigation team. Bu the investigation team never made its report public.

After a month the local investigation team made its report public on Aug 3, 2010 [2067/4/18] and the report was submitted to the district security committee at first and at around 5 pm on Aug 4, 2010 [2067/04/19] the report was made available to the family members of the victim, representatives of the political parties, representatives of advocacy forum and journalists.

Police denied registering FIR:
At around 1 pm on 22 Aug 2010 [2067/05/06] victim Dharmendra Barai's father Hariram Barai and his relative Lal Bahadur Barai visited to District Police Office, Rupendehi to file an FIR against the allegedly accused policemen from Khajuriya Police Post, Rupendehi but the DPO, Rupandehi refused to register the FIR. Then the same day victim's father posted the FIR in the name of DPO, Rupendehi and DAO, Rupendehi the same day. But both of the offices never called him to verify the FIR.
The Appellate Court of Butwal on 26 January 2011 passed directives to the District Police Office (DPO) of Rupandehi to immediately proceed with investigations regarding the suspected custodial death of Dharmendra Barai.

Monetary support received:
On September 15, 2011, DAO, Rupandehi provided the monetary support to the family members of the victim. Advocacy Forum provided free legal aid to the victim's family members.
On 2 July 2010 [2067/03/18] Ramkesh Kahar, a resident of Shivapur-4, Gonaha VDC, Rupendehi district was badly injured in a bicycle accident and died while undergoing treatment at Medical College, Bhairahawa. The following day at around 10 am, the police arrested Mahendra Barai, elder brother of Dharmendra Barai for the inquiry on the case and released him after 2, 3 hours. The same day at around 12.30 pm the police arrested Dharmendra Barai for some inquiries on the case after Parsuram Pasi, a local, expressed his doubt on his involvement on the accident. While arresting him there were ASI Khatri, 2 civil dressed policemen and Parsuram Pasi and local villagers are the eyewitnesses of his arrest.

After the arrest he was taken to Khajuriya Police Office for the investigation and inquiry on the case. Then the same evening almost 20 - 25 villagers including family members of the victim visited to police office and requested the police to release the boy because he was innocent and minor too but ASI Nar Bahadur Khatri said that the boy would be released the following morning at 8 am. During that time the boy cried and complained to his family members that the police had aimed at him with riffles and threatened him to shoot there. As the police called them to come the following day at around 10.30 pm they returned from the police office. But the following morning at around 4 am ASI Khatri called to the family members and informed that Dharmendra had fallen sick and needed medical attention. So, he was admitted at Bhim Hospital Bhairahawa for his treatment. When the family members reached to the hospital they found that the boy was already dead. The eyewitnesses say that there was blood clot and roughed skin on the left hand, blue marks of torture on soles of feet, marks of electric shocks on shoulders and blue and black marks of torture on the bottom of the deceased boy.
The family members of the victim claim that the police tortured the boy to death in the same night and took him to the hospital to prepare fake medical report without informing to the family members. The hospital record too writes, "Brought dead." According to the hospital source the police had brought Dharmednra at 2.35 am and at 3 am Dr. Ruchi Hamal prepared medical checkup report and registered the case in the Death Register in the hospital record book.

According to ASI Nar Bahadur Khatri he went out on patrolling at around 10.30 pm on that day and at around 1 am he received a message that the boy had fallen unconscious. When he returned to the police office, he found that the boy was unconscious. After that he called a van from Bethari Police Office and took the boy to Bhim Hospital Bhairahawa. He informed that there were police constables Jitendra Yadav, Janak Lal Chaudhary, Binod Singh in the police office when he was out for patrolling. But the family members claim the boy was healthy and had not suffered from any kind of disease. They claim if his bicycle had collided with Rakesh Kahar's bicycle he should have sustained some injuries on his body but there was no mark of accident on his body before police arrested him. Now the family members of the victim are demanding investigation on the case and legal actions against the perpetrators.
« Back to overview
powered by webEdition CMS